Pages

Thursday 3 January 2019

FO: Minimalismus Hat

At the end of last year I gave brioche knitting a go, just a simple one colour hat but it was fun to knit and my hat was just so squishy! I didn’t mean to leave it quite so long before revisiting the technigue but I've finally got there, this time giving two colour brioche a whirl.

The pattern I chose to start with was Minimalismus by Raina K. She has loads of lovely patterns but i chose this one because it has minimal patterning throughout the main body of the hat and also has an alternative version for if you don’t want to work the brioche decreases that form the tops of the arches around the brim.

I decided to go all in, and after a quick glance at a You Tube tutorial if found those big decreases pretty simple to work and I felt rather accomplished once I’d finished them all! The middle section was very quick to knit up and actually the hardest bit was making the bobble and I've now sworn off making the stupid things altogether, such a faff.

I wasn't entirely sure I was going to add a bobble to this hat but after I'd finished it and tried it on I found that it wasn't quite as slouchy as I like. I know it's silly but I have a really tiny head and I find that hats which are tight against my head make me feel like look weirdI look weird and a bit of slouch seem to fix that. I tried adding the bobble to see if I'd lie it better, but alas still made my head look derpy. So I asked Stu if he wanted it as he'd been hinting he needed a warmer hat and he's been wearing it ever since. Oh well, at least i get to someone wearing it even if it's not me. At some point I will revisit this pattern and add an inch or so onto the length and then it will be perfect.

Just quickly, while I'm here and it's not really worth a seperate post, I've completed Clue 1 of the Moving Forward MKAL, go no further if you do not wish to be spoiled!

So far it’s just white with a little texture.

I did have a bit of a silly moment where I misread the pattern and only repeated Chart 2 one and a half times instead of two and a half times but I realised my mistake when I saw other people posting photos in the MKAL Ravelry thread and startied to notice mine was a little small by comparison. Oops! The next clue arrives tomorrow and I don't start work til 3pm on Fridays so I'm hoping to get a good chunk of it done right away. Yay for knitting time!

No comments: