Pages

Friday 11 January 2019

FO: Joshua Tree

Since knitting Minimalismus and giving it to Stu I've had a bit of a bee in my bonnet about having my own two colour brioche hat and so once I'd finished the Boo Knits challenge last year I set about choosing a pattern.  After a few happy minutes browsing I settled on Joshua Tree by Katrin Schubert Described in the pattern as a slouchy hat I figured that it had more chance of fitting the way I wanted it to than some of the other patterns.
I used DROPS Lima again, this time in dark purple for the background and pistachio for the leaves.  I really enjoyed knitting this pattern, I learned a new brioche decrease and it was really fun seeing the leaves take shape as I knitted.  This is definitely a pattern that looks way more intricate than it is and I'm really pleased with the way it turned out.  After finishing I tried it on and I was pleased to see that it did have the slouchiness that I was looking for and I really liked the way looked.  I then admired the way the decreases met at the top for a few minutes before sewing on a furry pom pom just to finish the whole thing off.
The next day I wore it to go to a get together at my brother's inlaws even though it wasn't all that cold.  Now this is where our tale really begins!  I noticed as soon as I got outside though that the hat was actually a little bit large (I know, the irony here is not lost on me!) and the breeze could get in round the sides and around my ears, which wasn't going to be ideal once it got really cold.  Once we arrived at the party I took my hat off and popped it inside the hood of my coat.  When we left I didn't check that it was still there and I didn't notice that I didn't have it because, again, it wasn't cold.  Honestly I didn't really think about it until a few days later when my Sister-in-Law sent me this picture and asked 'Is this yours?'
I said it was and she then said 'Well it's mine now!' quickly following up with a joke that she could never steal one of my hats because our heads are completely different sizes.  Immediately I had a feeling that this hat was actually meant to be hers so I replied saying that the hat was a bit large for me and that if she liked it she could keep it.  She did and she did..... and that is the story of why I don't have very many photos of this hat and how the search for my perfect brioche hat continued.

No comments: