Saturday, 31 August 2013
Wednesday, 28 August 2013
Following hot on the heels of Buzzbee, I took only two days to knit Tubey, showing once again why newborn knits are so much fun. This hat is just as cute and is so simple, being essentially just a tube.
After these two successes it was very hat not to go right ahead and cast on another hat, possibly one for Cassie this time, but I tore myself away from hats and have started another pair of little socks.
These will be a pair of Garter Stripe Baby Socks by Jennifer Hoel knitted once again in leftovers of some yarn I dyed to knit a present for my SIL. I think the yarn came from Yarn Undyed again but this time it is 4ply sock yarn. I'm not a massive fan of orange myself, but it's good to use up leftovers and its nice to use bright yarn for babies so I don't really mind it.
Tuesday, 27 August 2013
|Pattern Buzzbee by Woolly Wormhead|
I love knitting things for newborns, they get finished so quickly. I don't have all that much time for knitting and this hat only took me a few days of a few rows here and a few rows there. I'm really pleased with it and I can't wait to try it on an actual baby, for the moment I have to do with a rather fetching bright green football which has roughly the same circumference as a newborn's head.
Friday, 23 August 2013
My trousers are done, they look like trousers and despite my best efforts they actually have inseam pockets which were a total first for me. Unfortunately they are HUGE. In some ways this is a good thing when I consider that I took my measurements and was very shocked about the size I'd need to make so the fact they have come out so big makes me feel so much better. Also they are actually wearable, just not in the way I had intended. Because they are elasticated waist I thought I would wear them under my bump but they are sooo big that I can pull the waistband right up over the bump and I think I will be able to do this for quite a while. I'll admit that they are not terribly flattering, but I figure they will be just fine for wearing around the house. I'll have to add pictures another day though, I cant seem to find a moment to actually get a picture of myself. Oh and one day when I get over the trauma of it all I'll tell you all about those pockets.....
|Pattern: Sock-A-Roo's Baby Socks, Yarn: Regia Color 4-ply|
Tuesday, 20 August 2013
Tuesday, 13 August 2013
The first thing I did was to download a copy of Woolly Wormhead's Wee Woolly Toppers and then amended my Ravelry queue to include four of the patterns from it. I only really came across these patterns after Cassie was a bit to big for them so I'm itching to knit them all for the new bubba. My queue now looks like this. Basically the plan is to finish the little socks I'm working on, then knit a tiny hat, then another wee pair of socks and then a hat for Cassie for the winter. I'm still planning on knitting legwarmers from my handspun after that, but I'm undecided which child they will be for now. After all that I may just manage to knit something for myself, who knows? Now all I need to do is dive back into the stash and pick out yarn for all these projects because I can feel my internet shopping finger starting to get itchy....
Thursday, 8 August 2013
Monday, 5 August 2013
The pattern I am using is from Burda Magazine, 4/2011. If you are unfamiliar with this publication, it is really great because you get loads of patterns for a few pounds, the catch being that you have to trace the pattern pieces and add a seam allowance yourself. I have absolutely no problem with this. I trace all patterns I make anyway so that the multiple sizes are intact for future garments and adding the allowance takes but a couple of minutes per piece. What I do have a problem with is this...
Seriously, it actually took me two days to even locate all of the pattern pieces in this mess even using the handy guide numbers at the top and bottom. It's a bit like my eyes just can't see the individual lines there and just blurs them all together. It would be great if they could include a pair of magic glasses which allowed you to see just one colour at a time. So at the moment I'm just getting ready to trace the final piece and then I will actually be ready to start cutting out some fabric.
This is a sort of soft herringbone suiting fabric which I have had in the stash for a dogs age, I can't really remember anything about it but I think it will be turn into nice comfortable trousers for me to sit and knit wee tiny things for the new baby.
Friday, 2 August 2013
A couple of days ago I finished sewing up a new top for myself, which despite not being perfect, I love. I bought the fabric a little while ago from Minerva Crafts and have been waiting for inspiration to strike.
I had a little bit of trouble squeezing the pieces out of just 1m of fabric, but despite so very nearly cutting the back so the skulls were all upside down I did just about do it. The pattern is Burda 7104 and yes, as the more eagle eyed among you will notice, it is a maternity pattern. For pregnant ladies. Just like me! We’ve been sitting on this news for quite a while now, it took a really long time to schedule our first ultrasound and we didn’t want to announce anything until we’d had it. I’m now 17 weeks and the baby is due 11th January. The sonographer was pretty sure it’s another girl but we’re going to get that double checked at our next scan. So I finally feel like I can get excited now that I know that all is well and now that I can actually tell the world. This will mean that I will need to overhaul my knitting queue, a January baby is going to need lots of handknits so I’d better get cracking!