Pages

Friday 28 December 2018

Boo challenge update and FOs

With just a few days left of 2018 I am pleased to report that I have completed the 2018 Boo Knits challenge - yay! I do have a few left unblogged however and I would like to get to have them all shared by the end of the year as well.  Some of the shawls I've made this year I have made before so I don't have much to say about them apart from sharing a few photos so I'll probably tack those ones on to the end of a post about a new to me pattern.
So lets go!  First up today is Forever Yours which I actually completed in March and blogged about here when it was a WIP.  It turns out I never posted about it when it was finished though.... oops.
I had to refresh my mind from the old blog post because I finished this one such a long time ago that I've mostly forgotten the details by now.  I only have 50g of yarn to play with and I wanted to use as much of it as possible because I do like a larger shawl.  Despite my concerns that this might come out a bit small I was really please with the finished size of this one.  In fact I managed to do more repeats than I thought I would and I had to order extra beads before I could finish.
Looking at the photos of this shawl reminds me that I would definitely like to knit this one again, each of the sections is repeatable and you can make a different shawl each time depending on how many repeats of each section you do.  Because I was concerned about yarn I did a smaller number of repeats of the earlier sections and then increased the repeats of later sections as it became clear I'd have enough yarn.  I'd like to make this with a good amount of yarn so that I can plan how I'd like it to look rather than being led by yarn constraints.  that being said I like the way this has turned out and it is a real statement piece. 
The beads I chose were a lovely matte red, I decided to go for a textural contrast rather than a bold colour contrast and I think the effect is really lovely.  All in all I feel like this is something quite special and I'm glad to have made it.

Next up today is Intrepid Spirit
I made one of these last year for my Sister in Law in purple (it turns out I didn't blog that one so I'll include some photos of that one too I guess) and then found it really hard to actually give away!  I used the same yarn for both, DROPS Baby Merino, this time in grey and I chose some frosted purple beads.  The beads were actually a lot more muted than I had hoped and as I began adding them to the shawl I was slightly underwhelmed.  But then I held my knitting up to the light and the sun caught on the beads and just made them glow.  Unfortunately I've not managed to catch the effect on camera, but it really is something.  Theres not much to say about this one, it was a simple knit and I enjoyed knitting it again.  Again this is a pattern you can alter by doing different numbers of repeats but I just went by the pattern for both of mine and I'm happy with the size and the effect.


Hopefully I'll be back tomorrow with another 2 Boo projects.  Spoilers:  one of them is not a shawl!


No comments: