Pages

Monday 31 December 2018

Bo 2018: Mojito

Wow, it feels really good to get all caught up on this by the end of the year.  I'll start by saying that I wasn't entirely sure that I was going to participate in the Boo 2018 challenge after completing the 2017 challenge, I mean how many shawls does one person need to knit really?  But in the end I figured that I would still probably knit a fair few throughout the year and I would definitely be joining in any mystery knitalongs so why not go for it and be in for a chance of winning a prize.  Because I won a prize last year I'm not hopeful at all of winning another this year but, hey, why not try!  I've also finished 9 other projects this year, including a large a baby blanket so it's not like I've done nothing but knit lacy shawls and I'm happy to have taken part once again.

So, Mojito.
I took a bit of a gamble with this one, the yarn I chose is quite colourful and I wasn't entirely certain that the lace was going to complete with the yarn but I decided to go for it anyway and see what I ended up with.  The yarn is Solstice Yarns Zorya Silk Lace in Unrequited Love and is very beautiful indeed.
I did feel that there was rather a lot going on here however and stuck with clear rainbow beads for a subtle sparkle rather than trying to pick a colour that would work.  This was definitely a good choice.
Knitting this pattern was largely a simple affair.  I like the all over lace on this one and the main body is relatively simple but there is a section with lace on both the knit and purl rows which does require a bit of extra attention but makes the lace extra detailed and lovely so it is definitely worth it.  I'd happily knit this pattern again, probably in a solid colour to really show off the lace.  While I do feel like I got away with using this yarn for this shawl I probably am hiding a little bit if the detail under all the colour. 
As you can see in the photographs the lace shows loud and proud over a dark background but against a lighter colour it does disappear.  This isn't a problem, just something for me to be mindful of when I'm putting an outfit together.
So before I go I will say a big Happy New Year to everyone.  I hope 2018 has treated you well but if it hasn't I hope 2019 is much kinder.  2018 has been a year of change for us.  Felicity started school full time which allowed me to stop working evenings and change to daytimes, this has been fantastic for us as a family and for me personally because I was just DONE with heading off to work as everyone else was finishing.  I have had a little less time to myself as a result and perhaps less time for uninterrupted knitting and sewing but on balance we are all all better off now.  Hopefully the coming year will bring lots of new adventures for all of us.

No comments: