Pages

Monday 6 April 2020

FO: Love is...Boo Knits MKAL

We all know I love a good mystery knit, in particular a Boo Knits mystery knit and the first one this year, Love is... started on Valentines Day.  This one was actually announced at the end of last year and I'd mostly forgotten about it so I was unable to get any of the gradient yarns that were produced for the knit along.  I'm really happy with the yarn I ended up getting, so no regrets there, but I'd recommend checking out the project gallery on Ravelry because there are some absolutely beautiful gradients on display there.
I decided to check out Natural Born Dyers Lorbanerry yarn, which was also recommended for this shawl and I ended up picking out a lovely soft pink which seemed like a perfect choice for a Valentines themed knit.  When it arrived I was honestly over the moon with this yarn.  It is so soft and shimmery and was a really lovely colour with subtle variances.
For beads I wanted something soft looking to give the finished item a romantic look.  This pattern requires around 1300 beads so I didn't want to pick anything too experimental because that would be a disaster on such a heavily beaded shawl.  I ended up choosing these grey AB Toho beads which I thought would contrast just ever so slightly without really standing out and just bring the right amount of sparkle.  When they arrived I was worried that they were too dark, and all together in the tube they do look very dark, but individually on the shawl they are perfect.
Knitting this shawl was pretty straightforward, there were 6 clues each of which felt pretty manageable. I enjoyed knitting it and after each clue I was relieved that I liked the way it was looking.  This shawl is a really good size and for the first time with one of these MKALs I very nearly used up all of my yarn.  I'm a slightly tighter knitter so very often I end up with a slightly smaller shawl and a bunch of yarn left over but this one turned out just right.
Blocking was a bit of an arse because we redecorated out bedroom earlier this year and my clocking mats and pins are....somewhere?  I had to do this one on a blanket with some highly unsuitable pins but the job got done and I'm happy with the result.
All in all I'm really pleased with this one and I can't wait to wear it outside.  Currently I'm mostly wearing sweatpants and jumpers so lacy shawls look a bit mad but one day I shall look put together once again and this shawl will be perfect come that day!

No comments: