Pages

Thursday 31 December 2015

FO: Coco

This is a post about mixed feelings. I suspect by the end of it you will have mixed feelings about how much you'd like to poke me in the eye and I will probably still be unsure about this dress.
As far back as when Tilly and the Buttons released the Coco pattern I was not really sure whether I liked it or not. The idea of it seemed attractive as I'd not had much luck sewing knits and I was seduced by promises of how easy it would be to sew. Although I'd seen really lovely versions popping up all over the internet, every time I'd consider getting the pattern I'd see another version that I just hated. Obviously that is the case with any popular pattern, but I kept hesitating.
Eventually there was a sale on and I just went for it and then continued to procrastinate about actually making it because I was still more than half convinced that it would be awful. Fast forward at least a year and I finally decided to go for it. I had some inexpensive ponte in the stash and I knew that it would only take a few hours to sew on the overlocker. I figured what better way to find out once and for all if I like this pattern than by sewing it?
WRONG! I literally can't decide if I hate this dress or love it. I can't even say that I sort of like it or am indifferent to it. One minute I will look in the mirror and think 'dear god woman what are you wearing?!?!' and then the next I'll catch a glimpse of myself and think that I should really make a another one of those lovely dresses.
So, what's to love? Despite thinking I'd hate the funnel neck I did add it simply because I think it's a neater finish than turning and stitching. Turns out that I absolutely love it and it is by far my favourite part of this dress. The dress is lovely and comfortable and really snuggly so I know I'll wear it loads over the winter. What I don't love is the way it sticks out away from my body more like it's wearing me insteadof me wearing it. The dress is designed to be easy fitting, but I'd definitely prefer a slightly closer fit. To my eyes it looks much better with a belt, but I need to stick a couple of extra holes in this one so I've been wearing the dress without. It may be the case that I could just make another in the next size down and then I will love it for reals but I can't decide if it's worth the bother because I'm still sort of convinced that I might hate it........ and here we go again. Seriously someone poke me in the eye and give me something proper to worry about!

No comments: