Pages

Monday 3 September 2018

FO:Lycka

So, let's begin with a little update on this years Outfit Along.  Nope, didn't happen, I failed to complete either garment by the end of July making it my worst attempt yet!  Last year I sewed a dress and disliked it so much that I never bothered to finish knitting the cardigan.  This year I started knitting a top and bought fabric for my jeans which I prewashed and it just looked awful when it came out of the washing machine.  I still cut all the pieces out of it for my jeans but I'd just lost all my mojo at that point and the pieces are still sat on my sewing bench waiting for some attention.  I kept knitting, but then had put it aside to do the Boo Knits MKAL.  Once Dreamscape was finished I started knitting again and now, nearly a month late I can present one half of this year's OAL project.
The pattern I chose was Lycka from Knitty and for once I actually used the yarn called for in the pattern, DROPS Safran in a lovely hot pink.  I liked the heart shaped look of the front and almost went for red just like the pattern photos, but I decided that pink was just as 'heart-like' and goes with more of my clothes.
This is a really simple knit, I love hi-lo hems and the buttflap part was a quick and easy beginning to the pattern but is easy to omit if you're not into mullet hems.  The lace is easy to memorise and to knit and the whole thing comes together really easily.  The front and back are knit separately so obviously I made a bit of a fuss about seaming up the sides because I haaaate seaming but it was over quickly and it looks pretty good so clearly I'm getting better at it!
Full disclosure: I did not bother to block this so the buttflap is a bit curly at the moment but once this has been round the wash I will give it a cursory blocking just to see if I can fix that.  If I can be bothered I'll pop a quick row of crochet around the armholes because the stockinette back of them curls inwards while the lacy front does not and I may consider doing the same around the neckline just to stabilise it slightly.  These are only minor niggles and I'm not sure if I will actually bother or not.

I like the way these look with my skinny jeans and I will get round to sewing my Ginger jeans to go with them really soon.  I'm also hoping to finish my OAL 2017 cardigan in the very near future too, I may even wear it with the horrible dress I made to go with it just to say I completed the outfit so you can all look forward to that!

No comments: