Pages

Sunday 29 November 2015

Autumn Swap Yarn

After I found out I was pregnant with Cassie I joined a Due Date group on Ravelry and became friends with the most wonderful group of ladies I can imagine.  I love that we are all still chatting regularly, supporting each other through the ups and downs of motherhood.  Every now and again we have a swap, sometimes we knit hats for the kids and sometimes we like to treat each other with yarn and candy.  A few weeks ago I posted about the package I’d received from lovely Gio in Switzerland (she has just welcomed her third beautiful baby boy, congrats Gio!) and I can now reveal what I sent to Dawn in the US now that it has definitely arrived.


Because Dawn arranged this swap she knew that her package would be coming from me so I tried to make up for that by sending her something really special.  Seeing as I was on a bit of a spinning kick it seemed entirely right to spin her some yarn of her very own.  I wanted to spin up 200g, because experience has taught me that 100g very often yields a skein of yarn with and unhelpfully small yardage and a quick nose through my stash turned up nothing helpful so I hit Etsy for inspiration.  My old favourite Nunoco didn’t disappoint and I soon had a 2 braids of their chromatops, in Azzuro and Fandango, winging their way to me.  My plan was to split each braid into thirds for a 3ply and then swap one strand of each colour to get a pair of coordinating yarns.  Here's a quick and dirty representation I did before I decided to go ahead.



Of course I wasn’t sure if this would work as nicely as I imagined it, but I’m really pleased with the outcome.  The fibre was an absolute pleasure to spin and the colours are so bright and lovely that I’m beginning to wish I hadn’t resisted the urge to get some for myself!  The yarn itself is a soft and smooth sport weight and each skein has a pretty generous yardage.  I can’t wait to see what it becomes.


To accompany the yarn I sent some of my favourite treats that I’m hoping aren’t too widely available elsewhere. I forgot to get a picture of those before I sent them but they were all lucky to make it into the envelope without me eating them!

I had great fun putting this parcel together and I'm really proud of the yarn, in fact i'm thinking of spinning something similar for myself quite soon.



No comments: