Over the past few weeks I have been enjoying the second series of The Great British Sewing Bee on BBC 2. I've been meaning to get back behind my sewing machine for a while and watching the programme only made that desire stronger. I even went out and bought the accompanying book to the series and, although books made to capitalise on television series success can generally be a bit cack I've found this one to be marvellous. It is full of projects that I want to make and the full size patterns are a total bonus. They are printed in 5 large sheets, so the patterns need to be traced off but they are easy to find and it's not too onerous a task.
So to ease myself back into sewing I decided to give this tunic a go. It looked fairly simple and flattering, perfect for me when I can only snatch a few minutes here and there to sew. The fabric I'm using is a really cheap crepe lining so I won't feel bad if it all goes horribly wrong and because I always have a vest top or nursing tank on under my top it's no big deal if it ends up a bit too sheer. Rather than a contrasting colour for the yoke I've actually gone for a black satin I had in my scraps pile for a contrasting texture.
This project has provided a couple of firsts for me, making piping and sewing it into a seam. I'm actually really pleased with how well it went and I'm probably going to have to stop myself adding piping to everything I sew now! I still need to add the neck facing and then do them hems at the bottom and on the arms before the moment of truth, when I get to find out if I have created something wearable. Regardless, this has been a really fun project and it feels good to get sewing again.